Welcome all new and returning families, teachers, and staff to the 2012-2013 school year! The main purpose of the BHS Parents’ Group is to facilitate communication between the BHS administration and parents; to provide programs that will enrich our students’ educational experience and to assist in granting staff requests for additional materials, classroom supplies and technology updates.
WHAT WE DO:The BHS Parents' Group was developed to support the success of our students through fundraising and active, all-volunteer parental participation. It is the crucial communication link between home and school. We assist the administration by:
- Raising money through contributions to BHS Excellence Fund to support critical programs that benefit all students, parents and teachers (see below)
- Organizing the online Student/Parent Handbook
- Helping students register for classes
- Publishing monthly newsletters and frequent e-mails to parents
- Creating the Buzz Book (student directory)
- Hosting a holiday luncheon and spring appreciation breakfast for teachers and staff
- Planning and executing our annual fundraising event: Taste of the Town
- Helping in the computer lab and library
- Managing graduation events
- Offering an informative parent education program, and so much more!
How we raise money to support the BHS Parents’ Group activities:
The BHS Excellence Fund was established when public school funding began to decline and parents were asked to make a monetary donation to supplement the school budget. Your donation to the BHS Excellence Fund goes directly to fund critical programs that directly benefit and provide opportunities for our students, parents and teachers. In addition to the BHS Excellence Fund, we also raise much needed funds through our annual fundraising event, Taste of the Town. Information about how you can support the BHS Excellence Fund and Taste of the Town is on the Parents’ Group web page.
WHAT WE FUND:
Through your donations to the Excellence Fund and Taste of the Town, The BHS Parents' Group has been able to fund:
- Technology updates have been provided on a regular basis with Parent Group Funds. Computers have been purchased for the computer lab, science, math and language departments. At this time we are specifically fundraising for a brand new, state of the art, interactive Language Lab to be utilized by all students and completed by fall 2014.
- We also provide teachers with a teacher stipend, distributed in the fall and spring, to pay for additional classroom supplies. Additionally, teachers' are able to make Wish List requests that may be fulfilled, depending upon available funds, to help students learn in a more engaging format.
- Parents’ Group is able to provide parents with an opportunity to stay involved by knowing what is happening in their child’s classroom with SchoolLoop. By accessing SchoolLoop, you have an online window to your child’s homework assignments, progress and grades. You may also contact your child’s teacher through SchoolLoop.
- The extensive BHS communication network includes online monthly newsletter (Highlights), the student directory (Buzz Book), email notifications (NewsAlerts) largely funded by the Parents’ Group.
- In the past, we have provided supplies as fundamental as books, DVDs, and science equipment and will continue to do so with your support.
Your donation to the BHS Parents’ Group directly supports these critical student programs:
- After-School Academic Center: Where tutoring is available to your student.
- College and Career Center:This provides your student with an opportunity to gather college and career counseling advice along with comprehensive college and career planning solutions to optimize student success. We also fund a software program called Naviance which enables your student and school administration to assist with the college planning and application process.
- The Career Center EXPLORE Program: This program provides opportunities for your student to shadow in the real work place to get ideas about how they may find their passion in the world.
- PAWS Community Service Program: This program provides opportunities for your student to participate in a multitude of community service programs around the Bay Area.
- Freshman Buddies Program:This provides an opportunity for incoming freshman to be mentored by upper classman in an effort to ease the transition process into high school.
- Senior Awardsand the Senior Graduation Ceremony.
Many thanks to our outstanding parents and community partners for their support in raising over $270,000 throughout the 2011-2012 school year!
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP THIS YEAR:
- Register with Schoolloop https://bhs.schoolloop.com/.
- Sign up to receive BHS email NewsAlerts (important school announcements) and Highlights (our monthly newsletter) at www.bhs.schoolloop.com/parentcommunication
- Visit our website, by clicking on the link on the BHS homepage link,www.bhs.schoolloop.com. Better yet, bookmark this site on your computer!
- Join the BHS Parents’ Group for $20 (Family membership fee).Your membership and participation will enrich your student’s experience at BHS.
- Opportunities abound throughout the school year so volunteer a few hours of your time whenever it suits your schedule. Click here for the volunteer sign up form.
- Make a difference by writing a check or donating online today to support the BHS Excellence Fund, our direct donation program. Please help the BHS Parents’ Group enrich your child’s education by making a donation to the BHS Excellence Fund today at www.bhs.schoolloop.com/excellencefund
- Join the eScrip program by filling out the eScrip form -- www.escrip.com -- it's FREE money for the school.
We invite you to take an active role in your student's life at Burlingame High School and we look forward to serving as your Parents' Group Co-Presidents this year. Please feel free to contact us with any further questions, comments, or how you can become involved at Burlingame High School.
All the best this school year,
Mindy Rosenberg and Todd Bakar
|2012-2013 Executive Board|